"With the city infested with zombies you and a group of survivors retreat into the forest. You discover an abandoned building deep within the forest."
Silence (zps_silence in the game's files) is a map within the compounds of a decrepit, decaying sanatorium atop a hill in the deep woods, surrounded by a thick, stone wall. Essentially all the action takes place within the buidling, as space outside is very limited as well as tight. The sanatorium is three stories tall and the rooms within the sanatorium consist of various medical rooms, examination rooms, bathrooms, a laundry room, a padded cell block, a crematorium, and a kitchen, among other rooms. Many of the items spawn on the first and second floor, but many players find themselves retreating to the basement to hide and hold off the zombies.
- Kill the survivors
- See also: Basic Rules of Survival
- Do not enter directly through the front door, most zombies anticipate this is where the surviors will come from.
- Use the side doors to enter, and keep your eyes peeled for any items along the way such as ammo.
- Take wide turns when going around corners, to allow more space between you and potential attackers.
- This map is very maze-like to new players, try to follow other survivors until you are confident and can find your way around. Or just play alone in Testmode and explore the map yourself.
- There are many first aid spawns on this map, as well as an armor spawn. First aid kits can spawn on the third floor, the second floor bathroom, the basement crematorium, and elsewhere.
- Armor will always spawn next to a first aid kit on the first floor storage closet on the left after entering through the main entrance.
- Conserve your flashlight battery whenever possible.
- Once you have collected everything or feel you will be overrun, retreat to the basement, its maze-like nature can make it difficult for even zombies to keep up with a fast survivor.
- See also: Playing as the Undead
- If the survivors are too cautious when patrolling the building, you can head out of the sanatorium and enter through various side entrances to sneak by wandering humans undetected to gain access to other places.
- There are very dark corners on this map which are perfect for lying in wait for survivors to walk by.
- If you cannot find the last remaining survivor(s), check the basement of the building as well as the outside area.
- On the second floor, it is very easy to hide out of sight if pursued by survivors since there are so many corners and rooms. Use this to your advantage.
- Many survivors will try to exit the building and enter through different areas to lose the zombies, try securing the entrances if this is the case.
- This map and Asylum are similar, as both are set in abandoned institutions surrounded by woods, set during night time, and have the survivors spawn outside of the building entering it, only to battle the undead.
- Silence appears to be a relatively small map at a glance, but upon discovering the basement it can be considered one of the larger survival maps in the game.
- Silence was originally a much brighter and foggier map, but this was later changed. The map is now fogless and set during dusk.