When the carrier hits a survivor, there is a 10% chance that the survivor will become "infected" because of it. Infection means that the survivor will turn into a zombie within a given period of time.
There are three stages of infection:
- Window period
- Symptom period
Upon initial infection, a survivor has no way to tell if they are infected or not for sure. There is no visible change in HUD or any other gameplay factor.
Signs that might mean you are infectedEdit
While none of these 100% guarantee that you are infected, they are all a strong possibility that you are.
- The carrier suddenly stops attacking you and/or retreats.
- Zombies seemingly not wanting to attack you.
- Zombies downright stating over the mic that you are infected. (Note, that sometimes zombies may lie to raise paranoia among the survivors)
The second stage of infection alerts a survivor to their condition. A gasping sound mixed with a heartbeat can be heard, the screen temporarily but trivially blur, sound is momentarily dampened as if the survivor had their ears covered for a moment, and the hit point icon changes from a red cross to a series of marks resembling blood spatters. Even in servers where friendly fire is off, an infected survivor can be killed for a short time period before the transformation stage.
Shortly before becoming a zombie, a player will experience the same blurring, sound dampening, and heartbeat/breathing sounds a few seconds before turning into a zombie.
If you are infectedEdit
Being infected may sound like it sucks, but it gives you some options for things that normally wouldn't be good gameplay strategies, and may even be considered griefing (In fact, some may still be considered griefing, dependent on the server. Use caution, and don't ruin the fun for others)
Infection is a moral choice. Either you help the survivors in your last few seconds before coming a zombie, or use the infection to make your life easier as a zombie by hindering your former teammates.
If you want to help the survivorsEdit
- Tell them you're infected
- Distribute your ammo and weapons
- Go on a mad zombie killing spree
- Run and grab ammo/weapons from dangerous places and bring it back
If you want to help the zombiesEdit
- Fire off all your ammo to waste it
- Take everything you can and run into zombie territory
- Avoid running into other survivors to avoid detection
- Stay with other survivors so that you can attack them as soon as you turn
- Break barricades
- Block objectives
How to tell if other people are infectedEdit
One of the best ways to prevent damage from infection is to kill off those who are infected before they can turn.
Signs that they definitely are infectedEdit
- A survivor that drops dead after you shoot them (on servers with friendly fire off!).
- Someone you cannot pass through if the server has collisions turned off.
Signs that they might be infectedEdit
None of these are a tell-tale sign that a survivor is infected, you should keep a good eye on them.
- A survivor who has been hit by whitey.
- A teammate who shows anything under Signs that you may be infected.
- A normally non-griefer doing anything under If you want to help the zombies.
- A survivor who yells that they are infected.
- A survivor seems to be "lurking" or "stalking" another survivor. They may appear to be doing something but in fact probably standing just out of reach to turn on you when least expected.
- A survivor runs away when you hit them with a melee weapon (FF off). Note: take this one lightly, since most people's reaction to being hit with a melee will be to run away because a) they think you are telling them to leave or b) they think they might take damage.
Other Notes about InfectionEdit
- Servers can modify the infection rate to make it higher or lower, so depending on where you are playing, the infection chance may not always be 10%.
- You cannot win a survival map while infected. In the event that only survivors are left and one or more are infected, the game will not end until all the infected have turned and one side has eliminated the other. On the other hand, you ---can--- win an objective map while infected, dependent on the map. Biotec, for instance, will not allow any infected survivors to be on the helipad when the helicopter lands, but survivors can still win if infected survivors are outside the helipad upon the arrival of the helicopter.